I love myself a good Ikea hack and haven’t really made the move to create my own. I’ve probably been to our local Ikea three times in the last two months to shop for things for the nursery and little bits and pieces for our living room after taking down our Christmas decor. One of the pieces I saw the first time going was this pretty basic and simple GLADOM tray side table for under $15!! What a steal! Back home I went on Pinterest to get some inspiration but only found super simple hacks like spray paining the whole table. I decided to add another fun element to create an even more sophisticated look: marble contact paper!
Here are the steps and some pictures:
1x white GLADOM tray table from Ikea
Rust-Oleum metallic gold spray paint from your local Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart etc.
Scissors or X-acto knife
Smoothing tool/ credit card
Scotch adhesive protective dots
- Assemble tray table following directions on how to put it together (assembly instructions)
- Spray paint table and tray wearing gloves and mouth protector on a piece of carton or similar, best outside because of fumes, and let dry
- measure tray size and copy onto contact paper
- cut out the circle and carefully transfer contact paper to the outside/ bottom part of the tray, use your smoothing tool or a credit card to get rig of any bubbles.
- Also when ordering the self-adhesive contact paper the length cover the entire tray (17 1/2 “)
- this step is optional but I just felt safer adding protective clear dots to the inside of the top part of the poles of the table so the tray would be safe in place
- put tray back on table and voila – you’re finishes with your one of a kind chic gold and marble side table for under $25!
Let me know if you enjoy this Ikea hack and I can’t wait to finish up Baby girl’s nursery to show you guys where the table found it’s place in her room!
Happy Monday and have a great week!